Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cheesecake gone weird


It certainly looks like cheese cake. But it's just kinda of...weird to me.

I love fluffy cheese cakes. I can't eat rich cheesecakes such as NY style cheesecake because it makes me feel overwhelmed with the richness after few bites. So I used the Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake recipe from Dianna's Deserts website. However, I arranged it too much that its not really the same recipe anymore.

I used Neufchatel cheese instead of cream cheese for the first time. I always wondered how this type of cheese taste like. Well, it looks just like cream cheese, maybe softer than cream cheese, and it has less fat than cream cheese! I'm not sure how to pronounce Neufachatel, but its such a cool name. The name has accent marks which I can't type here.

Next change I made is that I used sour cream. I had about half empty container of sour cream in the refrigerator, which I wish I could say is about to expire or something, but it has already expired for maybe over one month. It looked okay and it did not smell anything bad so I used about 1/2 cup of it.

I am used to making meringue now. I have fun folding the egg white and the batter. I put the whole thing in the oven thinking it will turn out good, and I started to clean up the mess. Than I saw the pile of flour and corn starch that I had sifted on the table across from where I stood. I totally forgot to put the flour in.

I heard that by not taking it out right after it finished baking will reduce the risk of shrinking. Although I did that, it still shrinked, not too much, maybe because it didn't have flour in it. After putting on some melted jam+water glaze and cooled down a little more, I tasted it. It was still a little warm. It seemed a lot like mouse or suffle. It tasted quite alright. However, the crust I made from leftover crackers were horrible! The water had seeped in through the spring-form pan and absolutely soaked the crust. It made it soggy and rubbery, ew!

Hopefully, the cheese cake will become not so much like mouse once it has cooled more. I will taste it again perhaps tomorrow! The glaze on cheesecake is pretty good. Maybe I will try different type of Neufchatel cheese cake sometime again, and next time I think I will pass putting the crust at the bottom.


5 comments:

  1. OMG you made cheese cake? :O
    The surface look like flan and it looks yummy :P

    I hope the next attempt will be super good, and maybe I'll be there to eat it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you should reposted your old stuff. Like the new year cake we make :D
    That was one proud work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Kurokizz: truee, I think I will post the new year cake sometimes later :D. The cheesecake tastes better now after putting in the refrigerator, I think flour is not necessary in cheesecakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is Joanna, the cheese cake looks really good. I hope it taste the same it looks. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanna! What's boost mean? I think the cheese cake tasted good after it became cold in the refrigerator, but I was the only one who was eating it, and about 1/4 of it was still in the refrig until today lol. It went into the trash today :(

    ReplyDelete