Sunday, March 14, 2010

Strawberry Short Cake




Strawberries were on sale at Publics, and they were 3 for $5! So many strawberries, but they are not so sweet. I figured I won't eat them all as is, so I decided to make strawberry shortcake. I haven't made this simple cake for... I don't know how long. I just remember last time I made it, it didn't turn out that good.

Today, I found a great sponge cake recipe, it is very simple and easy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://cookpad.com/recipe/552012 (with pictures)

Here is the translation:

Makes 18cm round cake

Cake flour - 90g
Egg - 3
Sugar - 90g
Butter (melted) - 10g
Milk (room temperature to warm) - 20cc
Vanilla Oil - little bit

1. Sift flour, put it aside. Sift the sugar, put it aside.
2. Prepare the cake pan with lining it with parchment paper.
3. Put the egg and 1/3 of sugar in bowl, mix with beater. You can put the bowl on top of a pan with boiling water to have double boiler. It will be better when the egg mixture is warm...close to room temperature.
4. When the eggs get creamy, add half of the remaining sugar to egg mixture. Add the rest of sugar after more beating.
5. Beat eggs until fluffy.
6. Add vanilla, flour (separate in to 2 or 3 times) and fold with rubber spatula.
7. Add the butter and milk, fold with spatula.
8. Pour into pan, drop the pan from about 15cm hight for 3 times and let the air bubbles out. Bake for 30 min. at 350Degrees F.

(Recipe credit: ゆみさくちゃん)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cake pan used for this recipe is smaller than standard size in the U.S. I used a round casserole dish, not sure exactly what size, that was smaller than my cake pan. Usually this type of sponge cake will taste really good when you brush on some syrup (Sugar, water, and maybe some liquor) after cutting the cake in half.

I put some grapes on top of the cakes today, but I do not recommend doing that. Maybe blueberries would taste better. Although grapes do seem like they are "berries." Are they??

Wait...this is supposed to be strawberry short cake. I have no idea why I even put grapes in the first place.

2 comments:

  1. I'm your fan. Please make me cake someday :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never make a sponge cake before,and I afraid of my cake pan size will be too big. I was looking for a smaller cake pan for a long time, but I never find it. Cake will look cuter in a small size than big size pan.

    ReplyDelete